Photo Credit: http://www.bata.com/bata-in-indonesia.php

Sunday, July 29, 2012

International English Teaching Strategies Workshop


Written 7/26/12
Discussing best practices
On Thursday, July 26th, Nancy and I presented a workshop for English teachers from as far away as Surabaya.  Because of traffic, it took those teachers five hours to drive to Mojokerto to attend.  I’m honored that they came.  H. Achmad Chudhori, M. Pd., or Che Chep, the principal of MBI, requested a workshop that included strategies for engaging students in English language learning.  We were happy we could provide this kind of service.  Approximately 25 teachers were present.  Indonesian teachers already have many strategies in common with American teachers.  Some examples are:  The use of printed and electronic media, debates, interviews, small groups, and games.

Indonesian English teachers watch the
TJTV student video bulletin from my school.
Veteran teacher, Didiek, talks about what works
in his English classes.
Teachers practice the "Four Corners" strategy.





Indonesian teachers actively participated in our demonstration lessons.  Some were quite passionate about responding to discussion prompts and their senses of humor about working into the evening on a school day were just like teachers at home.  We began at 2:00 p.m., and with one 20 minute break, continued until it was time to break-fast at 5:30 p.m.  This time together confirmed something I already knew, and that is that teachers are in this business because they care about kids.  It feels like we made some new and broader connections in our global professional learning community.  The following day, I visited a 12th grade boys’ English class.  The teacher, who had been present at the strategies workshop, used small groups and a competitive game to instruct simple past tense.  The boys were very engaged.  Another English teacher told me later that day that he was going to use the spectrum activity.  Such willingness to try new ideas!  The principal has plans for a professional learning community of regional English teachers in which the exchanging of ideas will continue.  I wish I could be here to see its development, but I know these teachers and administrators will implement a wonderful program that ultimately enhances student success.

I think I can now put a new event on my resume, the presentation of an international English strategies workshop.  Sounds pretty impressive, eh?

Our very helpful hosts, Tutik and Nizzam.



2 comments:

  1. I'm sure both students and teachers are learning a lot from your creative teaching methods - and visa versa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. The workshop was a sharing of ideas and very well received. It should have been you teaching the English workshop though. While I do use relevant strategies, I'm only a social science teacher.

    ReplyDelete