Photo Credit: http://www.bata.com/bata-in-indonesia.php

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Jakarta Sends Me Off in Style

The whirlwind of today has left me breathless.  Lack of sleep may also have something to do with it.  It's Saturday here.  I still can't sleep through the night and find I'm up around 3:00 a.m., so I catch up on emails, Facebook friends, and blog posts at that time of day.  After a brief breakfast, which included a new-to-me item called dragon fruit, we boarded our bus and headed off to an amusement park of sorts.  Taman Mini Indonesia Indah was built as a way to increase national pride in 1975.  It includes replicas of typical houses, temples, churches, and mosques from different provinces and islands.  This is a place with the essence of a Disney theme park, but it was eerily empty today, as it is Ramadan and most people are home fasting.  With no clue about what to expect, it really worked well to just let this experience unfold. 
The beauty of the park made for some colorful photographs. 




 Getting into the pit with a komodo dragon may be the craziest thing I've ever done.  To put your mind at ease, the handler was just off to the right. 
 
After a brief break, TGC participants attended a cultural dinner.  Students and teachers from local school performed for us.  While the telling of that event is important to me, I'm exhausted and need to pack for my trip to Surabaya and then on to Mojokerto tomorrow.  Bear with me.  The tale will unfold.


No comments:

Post a Comment